This is a page of supporting the science and effectiveness of Reiki Science and Research. I will continue to add relevant information as I find them.
The bellow quotes are pulled from this Study: Reiki Is Better Than Placebo and Has Broad Potential as a Complementary Health Therapy, 2017 Oct; 22, David E. McManus, PhD
- “Díaz-Rodríguez et al11 employed a randomized, single-blind, placebo controlled, crossover design pilot study to investigate the physiological effects of Reiki in health care professionals with burnout syndrome. The study involved 21 participants receiving either Reiki or sham Reiki placebo, with heart rate variability, body temperature, salivary flow rate, and salivary cortisol levels measured both pre- and posttreatment. Reiki was provided by a practitioner with 15 years of experience, involving a 30-minute session covering the head, eyes, ears, and chest. It was found that a single session of Reiki increased heart rate variability and body temperature but not salivary cortisol levels, indicating that Reiki shifts the autonomic balance toward parasympathetic dominance.”
- “Salles et al12 investigated the effect of Reiki on abnormal blood pressure using a randomized, cross-sectional, descriptive, and double-blind clinical trial. Hypertensive patients were randomized to 1 of 3 treatment arms: (1) Reiki (n = 22), (2) sham Reiki placebo (n = 22), or (3) rest control (n = 22). Reiki was provided as a single 20-minute session (no details provided). It was observed that blood pressure decreased in each of the 3 groups, with statistically significant differences between each group. The Reiki group had the greatest reduction in blood pressure, followed by the placebo and the control group.”
- All 5 of these studies provide evidence that Reiki is better than placebo for inducing a physically relaxed state. This appears to be an objective fact, given that it has been replicated in both humans10 and rats.8 Physiological measurements indicate that Reiki is more effective than placebo in reducing resting heart rate,9 increasing heart rate variability,11 and reducing blood pressure.12 These results indicate that Reiki is more effective than placebo in activating the parasympathetic nervous system.
- “Reiki was more effective than the other treatments for reducing pain, depression, and state anxiety in chronically ill patients. ” (Dressen and Sing)
- “Reiki was also found to cause desirable changes in personality, including reduced trait anxiety, enhancement of self-esteem, a shift toward internal locus of control, and toward a realistic sense of personal control.” (Dressen and Sing)
- “Reiki treatment was provided in 60-minute sessions, twice a week for 4 weeks. Patient responses were assessed using the WHOQoL-Bref, an abbreviated generic Quality of Life Scale. It was found that the Reiki group showed significantly more improvements in the general, physical, environmental, and social dimensions of the WHOQoL-Bref. They generally felt better about themselves, their physical condition, and their relationships with their environment and other people.“
- “Each of these studies investigated a particular aspect of how Reiki may be employed as a complementary therapy in the management of chronic conditions. In 3 of these 4 studies, Reiki was applied repeatedly over an extended period, with 1 or 2 sessions per week over a period of up to 8 weeks. In these 3 studies, Reiki was found to be more effective than placebo, resulting in reduced anxiety13 and depression,15 and improved self-esteem13 and quality of life.16“
- “Viewed collectively, these studies provide reasonably strong support for Reiki being more effective than placebo. Two of the studies were conducted with rats and produced clear, objective evidence of a benefit of Reiki over placebo. This suggests that there is some merit to the claim that Reiki “attunement” imparts an extra healing capacity to the recipient. Although there is currently no scientific explanation for this, the clinical trial evidence is compelling. Further research is warranted to better understand this phenomenon.”
- “Reiki has been shown to be better than placebo for inducing a state of relaxation.8,10 Physiologically, this means that Reiki is effective in activating the parasympathetic nervous system, quantitatively measured as reduced heart rate,8 reduced blood pressure,12 and increased heart rate variability.11 The parasympathetic nervous system is one branch of the autonomic nervous system, the other branch being the sympathetic nervous system. In a healthy individual, the activity of the 2 branches can be rapidly modulated in response to changing environmental demands, but overall are maintained in a state of dynamic balance, or homeostasis. This regulatory process is primarily mediated by the parasympathetic nervous system via the vagus nerve.21“
What Reiki is NOT:
- A Cure for Disease, Illness, or Pain
- A form of Counseling
- A form of Mediumship or Psychic Skill
What I believe Reiki is:
- With regular meditation and attention to my energetic systems, emotional wellness, and mindful awareness of compassion for all life you can focus your attention
- Quantum Theories suggest that the Observe creates reality and can affect changes to the From Mahat (Sanskrit). Means the Great Flux. Comes from the ... or form. By spending dedicated "Time; From Amit (Sanskrit), which means endless or immeasur... to induce a state of healing, the body relaxes and allows change to take place.
- Reiki Masters are highly aware of energy and it’s “flow” by being aware of the “flow” state of consciousness, entering a higher level of brain waves called Theta. This creative state of coherence is a higher vibrational state. The lower vibrations will oscillate to the higher frequencies, and begin to harmonize in that state. When Reiki is performed, the cells all attempt to come into this higher state of being. This can be very helpful for the DNA, physical body, immune system, and all other nervous systems.
- The experience of Reiki allows for a Placebo Moment of experience in which the receiver can choose to transform their lives with the additional energy, motivation, and effects provided by focused intention
- Sending and Receiving the Universal Energy that makes up all life around has to do with Energy. The energy that makes up all From Mahat (Sanskrit). Means the Great Flux. Comes from the ..., what we are, and what is outside of ourselves. Simply using your wide attention to collect and direct the energy into your field via the chakras to direct energy through you. The energy is then directed through the hands, and the body is healed. The energy travels intelligently to whatever it is needed to raise in vibration, or release negative energies, or enhance functions.
- Through states of compassionate intent, a form of prayer, the practice of Reiki is to help, heal, and attune to higher states of life for the self, and others. Keeping the focus throughout upon love, life, and light in all its colors, forms, sounds, and expressions from within and in the cosmic life of all.
- All Life is Energy, and within each Life, there is Energy in All It’s Forms and Expressions
The secret art of inviting happinessUsui Reiki Treatment for the improvement of body and mind – The founder, Usui Mikao
The miraculous medicine of all diseases:
Just for today, do not anger
Do not worry and be filled with gratitude
Devote yourself to your work. Be kind to people.
Every morning and evening, join your hands in prayer.
Pray these words to your heart
and chant these words with your mouth